Lamar University’s Budget Office facilitates the optimal use of university financial resources and provides timely, useful budget information to the University community and its constituents.
Goals and Objectives:
Goal 1 - Resource Management and Reporting
- Objective 1 - Develop budgets that control funding for major capital, repair and renovation, and construction projects.
- Objective 2 - Present budget data in a transparent format that is widely accessible to the University community and its constituents.
- Objective 3 - Provide accurate and prompt reports and information to the University community regarding budgetary and other selected financial reports.
- Objective 4 - Prepare the annual Operating Budget for approval by the Board of Regents.
- Objective 5 - Prepare the biennial Legislative Appropriation Request and all supporting documents and requests for the legislative session.
- Objective 6 - Implement and maintain the University's annual operating budget and handle budget adjustments throughout the year.
Goal 2 - Planning
- Objective 1 - Provide timely and transparent forecast information (single scenario with fixed assumptions).
- Objective 2 - Develop financial models to enable decision-makers to compare and analyze multiple scenarios with variable assumptions.
Goal 3 - Innovation - Continual improvement in methodologies and increase resource availability
- Objective 1 - Optimize long-term financing opportunities for capital projects.
- Objective 2 - Model the cash flow of multi-year projects.
- Objective 3 - Standardize data collection used in tuition modeling and reporting requirements.
- Objective 4 - Remove line items from the budget document.
- Objective 5 - Continue to automate the budget process and enhance technology offerings.
- Objective 6 - Minimize the use of external databases/spreadsheets in analyzing data.
- Objective 7 - Participate in and support the development of non-financial data warehouse information to assist academic units in decision-making.