Investment procedures will follow and be in support of the Texas State University System’s Operating and Endowment Funds Investment Policies. The purpose of these procedures is to prevent loss of funds due to fraud, employee error, misrepresentation or imprudent actions.
- All securities purchased will be settled delivery versus payment (DVP) into Lamar University’s depository or custodian bank.
- All securities will be safe-kept with a broker/dealer authorized by the Texas State University System (TSUS) Board of Regents.
- The Director of Investments will prepare an Operating Funds cash flow that will be reviewed at a high level at least annually to determine investment strategy impact and projections.
- All investment transactions will be initiated by either the Controller or Director of Investments and will be fully documented for accounting information and security description and recorded to the ledger within five business days of receipt. All investment transactions will be reviewed and approved by the Controller or the Vice President for Finance.
- Investment transactions will be reconciled with the general ledger, bank reports and trade confirmations on a monthly basis by the 20th day of the following month. This will be done by the Associate Controller and reviewed and approved by the Controller or the Vice President for Finance and Operations.
- Income transactions will be reconciled monthly to the ledger by the Senior Director for Finance and reviewed and approved by the Controller or the Vice President for Finance and Operations.
- Quarterly investment transaction data will be submitted to Asset Strategy Consultants in the format required by them for preparation of the quarterly investment report. Upon their completion, the report will be reviewed for accuracy and, when content is verified to be accurate, will be signed by the investment officer and submitted to TSUS for inclusion in the board documentation. The report will also be posted to Lamar University’s website at this time.
- A review of the portfolio will be made by the Investment Officer at least quarterly during the preparation of the quarterly investment report.
- An annual review of the investment policy will be performed and submitted to the board for approval. The board approved policy will be placed on Lamar University’s website by December 31 of each year.
- The annual investment report will be prepared in the format required by the State Auditor and will be submitted to the State Auditor’s Office and placed on Lamar University’s website by December 31 of each year. The current format can be found on the SAO website.
- Annually, if needed, revisions or clarifications will be made to the three investment related questions to which the SAO requires all higher education institutions to post on their web site.
- An Annual Tracking Report for Investment Reporting by Higher Education Institutions will be submitted to the SAO by December 31 of each year. The current format can be found on the SAO website.
- These investment procedures will be reviewed annually and a copy submitted to the CFO for System Administration no later than November 1 of each year.