Helpful Purchasing Instructions
Chartwells Food Purchases
- All Chartwells Purchases require a Purchase Order.
- Purchase Order Requisitions require a quote with an event code issued by Chartwells even if it is to eat in the dining hall.
- The requisition must be submitted to the Purchasing Office PRIOR to the event.
Non-Chartwells Food Purchases
- If you are ordering food from another vendor for an on-campus event that is over $250, you are required to get a quote from Chartwells and two other vendors.
- If Chartwells is less expensive, you must purchase from them per the University contract.
- If the department wants to go with a vendor that is not the lowest bid, then approval from Mr. Ness or Dr. Evans must be obtained.
Are limited to the purchase of capital equipment items which:
Have a life of greater than one year
Individual cost over $250.00 and
Are stand-alone equipment and not a component part
May be used to purchase:
New software which has a life of greater than one year and
An individual cost over $250.00 per user.
License renewals do not qualify for HEAF
Paper Ordering Information
Effective September 1, 2016, copy paper will no longer be ordered once per month from a contract. Paper may be requisitioned like other office supplies as needed. You are encouraged to order from the Cardinal Purch punch-out suppliers.
- given out for free
- have Lamar University's name or logo printed on them (normally)
- are purchased in bulk (normally).
Include the following information / supporting documentation with the requisition:
- Department identification
- Who has the authority to approve the distribution?
- Event information, i.e. date, time place
- Objective / Purpose
- Who gets the items?
- How and why the recipient is decided
- Must be clearly stated that it is understood that NO employees are to receive the items
All of the supporting documentation MUST be maintained within the department for Audit Review.
Purchase Order Exception List
“Request to Pay Vendor” forms may be used to authorize payment in instances when it is not possible or not required to obtain a Purchase Order. The original invoice or receipt must accompany the “Request to Pay Vendor” form. Purchase Orders are not required in a limited number of situations:
- Memberships, insurance, advertisement and certain subscriptions
- Emergency purchases requiring prior approval from the Purchasing Department
- Standard Services Contract (agreement signed by LU Contract Manager PRIOR)
- Travel Instances:
- Travel expenses incurred by an individual providing contracted services to the University approved by Travel
- Employee travel reimbursements, where the expenses were paid early (ex: airline tickets or registration fees)
- Group travel expenses when travel has been approved in advance and the expenditures are consistent with the approval (group travel should use cash advances to cover meals and purchase orders to cover hotels when able)
- University student meal plans ordered through the University’s food service contractor
- Any type of postal and freight service
- Student refunds
- Interlibrary loan charges in amounts less than $50
- Exhausted Purchase Order and it is at fiscal year-end
- Student Club Payments
- Scholarship – Books
- Athletic medical expense after filed on insurance
- Taxes – payroll
Sales Tax Exemption Forms
It is NOT acceptable to have a blank, signed form in your department that you fill in as needed.
Request one by emailing the vendor name and address to Purchasing@Lamar.edu , be sure to include where you want the form sent.
Sam's Club Orders
- Submit the requisition a minimum of 7 working days in advance of your need for the order. In times of high requisition volume, such as the beginning of the fiscal year, it is highly advisable to submit them even sooner.
- Sam's Club requires 72 business hours lead time after they receive purchase order to pull the items in the order. *Please note that we do not deliver Sam's items on non-work days.
- If you're ordering bakery or deli goods by telephone, please have the order pickup time 7:00am. *Please note that special order items such as breakfast trays, cheese trays, cakes, cupcakes, etc. from the bakery or deli are often not available and Purchasing is not notified until the day we are scheduled to pick them up. You are strongly encouraged to order these kinds of items from another source, such as Chartwell's, Rao's Bakery or Market Basket.
- Create on-line cart at www.samsclub.com and attach it to your requisition for price verification.
- Include contact person's name and number, place where the order should be delivered and date items are needed on the requisition in the first line item of your non-catalog form.
- Check on the status of your order by contacting the Purchasing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Uniforms for Faculty and Staff
- Include the names of the individuals to receive the uniform items on the requisition.
- The department's uniform policy must be attached to the requisition.