Section 2 - General Policies
Policy Number: 2.10 - SMOKE-FREE, TOBACCO-FREE, AND ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE-FREE WORK PLACE
SCOPE: FACULTY, STAFF AND STUDENTS Issued: 4/1/00
Lamar University, along with all member schools in The Texas State University System (TSUS), has become a smoke-free and tobacco-free campus. The TSUS system is committed to providing a safe, healthy and pleasant environment for its faculty, staff and students. Lamar University has developed a comprehensive institutional policy creating a smoke-free and tobacco-free environment on its premises. Lamar's policy applies to all faculty, staff, students, employees of contractors and visitors to the campus and addresses the use of tobacco products as well as smokeless tobacco, electronic cigarettes or similar devices on university owned or leased premises.
1. “Tobacco products” include cigarettes, cigars, blunts, bidis, hookahs, chewing tobacco, dip, smokeless tobacco, snuff, electronic cigarettes or any other items containing or classified as such.
2. “Tobacco uses” includes smoking, chewing, dipping, or any other ingesting, consumption, or bodily intake of tobacco products.
3. “Campus” includes property owned or leased by Lamar University, including all grounds, buildings, facilities, vehicles, parking lots, property used for official functions sponsored by the University, and property used for course related activities.
1. Faculty, students, employees, volunteers, contractors or other persons performing services on behalf of the University, visitors or others on the campus for any reason, are prohibited from using any tobacco products at any time while on campus.
2. The sale or free distribution of tobacco products or merchandise on university property shall be prohibited.
1. Lamar University expects that all employees, students, volunteers, contractors, or other persons performing services on behalf of the university, visitors or others on the campus for any reason who use tobacco products to comply with this policy.
2. Students who violate this policy will be subject to the university student disciplinary processes.
3. Employees who violate this policy shall be subject to discipline or dismissal through appropriate university processes.
4. Visitors, volunteers, contractors or other service providers who violate this policy shall be asked to leave campus and/or may be prohibited from returning to campus.
1. Artists or actors who participate in authorized performances which require smoking or the use of another tobacco product as part of artistic productions are exempt from this tobacco policy.
2. Participants in academic research projects involving tobacco products are exempt from this tobacco policy if approved by the Provost.
Signage and other forms of communication will be posted in a manner and location that adequately notify students, employees, visitors, contractors or other persons performing services on behalf of the university.